Sunday, 21 February 2016

Does Everybody Count?

In her article, Noddings addresses the issue that not everyone uses mathematics in their particular vocation when they grow up.  She questions why we force every student to take mathematics throughout the K-12 system (with the exception of grade 12).  Her article is in response to Everybody Counts which states that, "Over 75 percent of all jobs require proficiency in simple algebra and geometry, either as a prerequisite to a training program or as part of a licensure examination" (p.90).  Quite astutely, she points out that while this may be true, no where does it claim that these same jobs actually use this math.  These mathematical achievements are only being used at gatekeepers to attain jobs.  Once the job has been acquired, it is noticed that algebra and geometry are no longer required.

The article was written in 1994.  Noddings points out that present jobs do not require the same arithmetic skills as they once did due to the advance of technology.  For example, where clerks used to have to perform basic arithmetic on a regular basis, they now simply scan an item into a computer. I would argue that now, over 20 years later, required math skills are being replaced with required technology skills.

Another interesting point that was brought up was that due to the perception of fewer and fewer math skills being necessary in the work force, mathematicians and mathematics teachers are simply teaching students math to provide work for themselves (in a manner of speaking).  If math really isn't all that necessary for the majority of society, why are we forcing it on all students?

One solution that Noddings brings up is to offer a greater variety of courses that can be alternatives to math.  This way there will be options for those who wish to pursue their enjoyment of math, and there will be options for those who don't.  This was one of the first points of the article that I was able to appreciate without feeling that teaching math was a doomed pastime.  Despite this hope, I cannot imagine a scenario where we are able to offer this plethora of courses.  It would require larger schools, more teachers, more classrooms, more professional development, etc.  In British Columbia at least, this does not seem very feasible.

Noddings wrapped things up with a glimmer of hope, in that we must attempt to make more meaningful connections with our students by relating the math in class with the students' lives outside of class.  This statements suggests that she realizes how difficult it would be to achieve her previous suggestions, and that perhaps this is next the best thing.

2 comments:

  1. I can definitely understand where Noddings is coming from, but I do have points where I fundamentally disagree. First off, does not having a "passion for math" in grade 6 constitute deciding students' mathematical paths for the rest of their academic life? I definitely did NOT have a passion for math in primary or high school. In fact, I just dealt with it because I had to. I felt like everything I was doing was pointless arithmetic, I wasn't fast, and I didn't see a big picture. I grew up in a very artistic family with both of my parents being artists. My evenings were spent in a ballet studio and free time was spent painting or playing music and did math because I had to. It wasn't until I went to the community college where I took a pre-calculus course that I suddenly realized math was more than I thought it was. Suddenly, my slow, methodical thinking was valuable and mathematics became more than calculation. I took pre-calculus because I needed it to finish high school and if I hadn't take that course at the college, I can assure you that I wouldn't be typing this blog response.

    How many students at 17 years old know what they want to do for the rest of their lives? I have enough of an issue with first year students declaring a major right when they enter university (I'm very pro-liberal arts curriculum in university), so the idea of a grade 8 student deciding they want an alternative to math bothers me even more. As you note, attempting to make meaningful connections outside of the classroom should be a major goal for teachers. Getting to know our students and their interests can help us give them the space to explore mathematics in the ways that interest them, but also gives them the space to see mathematics in a light they perhaps haven't before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Vanessa in taking issue with some of these simplifications, but I want to argue the claim that ``not everybody counts.'' Sure, many jobs do not require us to count explicitly, but math is SO much more than counting. We just spent a bunch of class time discussing how students (ideally) learn problem solving in mathematics classrooms - problem solving is something everyone certainly will encounter. The perseverance, critical thinking, creativity and care that are required to succeed in a math class are all qualities that can be translated outside of school. Math is by no means doomed. I think we just need to readjust our priorities (which is hopefully what we're doing!)

    ReplyDelete